Home | Map/Directions | Specials/Coupons | FAQs | Fail Smog Check? | Contact Us


Help California Breathe Easier


If your car fails the Smog Check, get $1,000 to turn it in, or up to $500 to fix it!

The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) offers two options to help California consumers whose vehicles fail their biennial (every other year) Smog Check. If you intend to apply to the Consumer Assistance Program, do not have any repairs performed on your vehicle. CAP programs are limited to available funds.

Repair Assistance

Qualified motorists can receive up to $500 in emissions-related repairs through CAP's Repair Assistance Program. Eligible consumers must take their vehicles to Gold Shield repair stations which are authorized to perform repair assistance services.

Vehicle Retirement

The Vehicle Retirement Program is available to motorists who want to voluntarily retire their vehicle rather than repair it. Eligible consumers can receive $1,000 in exchange for their vehicle. Approved vehicles must be driven to one of the state's authorized dismantlers where they are crushed.

You must first submit a CAP application and have it approved, making you and your car eligible for the program. You will then receive a list of participating stations or dismantlers where you can take your car to have it repaired or retired.

For more information on the Bureau of Automotive Repair, visit www.smogcheck.ca.gov.

Enter supporting content here